On this episode, both hosts Jason Ackerman (@thejasonackerman) and Jason Fernandez (@jfern3) discuss what they view as one of the most overlooked parts of the class, at the start of with the white broad. It’s important because it allows for a lot of problems in classes like push back, or miss scaling solved.
“It’s your job as a coach is to help them make good decisions.” – Jason Fernandez (35:50)
Key points about the White Broad Brief:
- It should be between 3-7 minutes max (4:35)
- `Common mistakes (6:00): They are too long, being repetitive, working backwards
- Time caps (13:50) you shouldn’t need them. What it states is that you’re not confident in your whiteboard brief and ability to scale.
- Jason’s order (15:50)
1) What this the WOD – just the movement not including RX weights
2)What this the stimulus
3) Movement/ loading/ scaling
4) Example what it isn’t
5) Logistic f the workout, e.g. two heats if need be or stagger (29:50)
- People won’t want to tell you when they’re injured. (27:35)
- Start on time; don’t worry about latecomers. Don’t give late comes a hard time; you don’t know how they went. (40:35) – Also check out our funny little video about this below.
“You can’t skip steps; you’ll leave people behind.” – Jason Fernandez (10:35)
“I put the outline of the picture [workout] up on the broad and they [members] color it in” -Jason Fernandez (18:50)
“If you’re at the whiteboard and not having fun, that problem.” – Jason Ackerman (32:50)
“Focus on your box not what’s going on outside it [referencing the games]” (35:00)
Jason Fernandez has a challenge for your coaches. Try to coach without using the word “can’t” (37:10). Let us know how you get on?!
Along with feel free to send your whiteboard brief to us! Pop it in a Dm on Instagram @thebesthouroftheirday
The most significant point to take away from this episode is summed up very well by Jason Ackerman that if you are unable to provide a good whiteboard brief “you’re doing your members a disservice.” (31:41)
We value your feedback. After listening, please hit me up with any questions, comments, or thoughts on how we can make this show even better, and if you enjoyed it, please share it! Instagram; @besthouroftheirday
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/jason-ackerman